UVA’s Noteworthy Basketball Athletes
Several UVA alumni have gone on to have successful careers in the NBA and for professional leagues abroad.
- Chris Havlicek – Chris played for the UVA basketball team from 1990-1993 and was inducted into the All-ACC Academic team all three years. Chris went onto professional basketball in Italy.
- Rick Carlisle – Is the current head coach of the Dallas Mavericks but also played in the NBA from 1984-1989. He has one championship as player for the Boston Celtics in 1986 and one as coach with the Mavericks in 2011.
- Jeff Lamp – Retired swingman (small foward/shooting guard) that played in the NBA from 1981-1989 and then internationally from 1989-1993. He won a championship with the “Showtime” Los Angeles Lakers in 1988. His college number 3 was retired by UVA.
- Ralph Sampson – Retired, Hall of Fame Center who was the the number one pick in the 1983 NBA Draft. After earning many accolades in his college career (3 time player of the year, 3 time ACC Player of the Year, 3 time first team All-American, 3 time first team All-ACC), Sampson was named Rookie of the Year his very first season. and had a storied career with multiple highlights.
- Mike Scott – Current NBA Power foward for the Atlanta Hawks. During his tenure with UVA, Scott made First team All-ACC in 2012.
- DeMya Walker – Current WNBA Forward who graduated as the UVA’s all time leader in field goal percentage. She was WNBA All Star in 2005.
- Monica Wright – Current WNBA Guard for the Minnesota Lynx. She was the ACC rookie of the year at UVA and when on to the WNBA to earn two championships in 2011 and 2013.